- Ultra-fast 800-volt multi-charging (10 to 80 percent in 18 minutes)
- Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) function can power small appliances, devices and even charge other EVs
- Driving range target of 300 miles
- New E-GMP platform improves performance, enhances driving dynamics and optimizes interior volume (spaciousness of a large car in a compact CUV)
- Eco-friendly materials and nature-inspired colors at many touchpoints
- IONIQ 5 customers will receive unlimited 30-minute charging sessions for two years on Electrify America’s growing network of chargers
- IONIQ 5 is the first model in Hyundai’s new family of IONIQ electric vehicles
Hyundai America has introduced the all-new IONIQ 5, which is an electric crossover utility vehicle (CUV) with a targeted driving range of 300 miles, cutting edge technology and best-in-class ultra-fast charging from 10 to 80 percent in just 18 minutes.
“IONIQ 5 introduces the Hyundai brand to a whole new set of buyers,”
said José Muñoz, president and CEO, Hyundai Motor America.
“Once behind the steering wheel, they are going to be shocked by the range, power, comfort, interior space and advanced technology. Owning one is going to be a new experience and lifestyle that only the IONIQ brand can provide.”
Sleek and Sophisticated Design
Taking inspiration from the ‘45’ EV concept, the IONIQ 5 captures the character and many details of the concept car.
- Extended 118.1-inch wheelbase – IONIQ 5 has the longest wheelbase in Hyundai’s U.S. product lineup
- Cutting-edge Parametric Pixel LED lighting elements
- Eye-catching V-shaped front bumper incorporates distinctive daytime running lamps (DRLs)
- Front and rear forms merge together at the doors, another example of Hyundai’s ‘Parametric Dynamics’ design
- Strong C-pillar shape, inspired by the ‘45’ EV concept, gives IONIQ 5 a commanding presence
- Large 20-inch aero-optimized wheels echo the Parametric Pixel design theme and complete IONIQ 5’s perfected proportions, optimized for Hyundai’s E-GMP platform
Color Options for the IONIQ 5 will include Phantom Black (Pearl), Cyber Gray (Metallic), Atlas White (Solid), Digital Teal (Green Pearl), Lucid Blue (Pearl), Shooting Star (Gray Matte). The interior has three color options which are Obsidian Black Monotone, Dark Pebble Gray/Dove Gray, Dark Teal/Dove Gray.
Electric Motor and Battery
IONIQ 5 is available with a range of drive motors to fit the needs of every customer. Customers can mate the 77.4 kWh battery pack to two electric motor layouts, either with a rear motor only or with both front and rear motors. The top-of-the-line dual motor setup is an all-wheel drive (AWD) option producing a combined power output of 320 horsepower (74 kW front + 165 kW rear) and 446 ft.-lbs. of torque. An IONIQ 5 with this configuration can go from 0 to 60 MPH in less than 5 seconds. The single-motor layout with a rear motor offers 225 horsepower (168 kW) and 258 ft.-lbs. of torque and two-wheel drive (2WD).
When equipped with a single motor (2WD), IONIQ 5’s targeted maximum driving range on a single charge is 300 miles. The targeted range of the dual motor all-wheel drive SE & SEL models is 269. The top-of-the-line Limited AWD model has a targeted range of 244 miles. All configurations have a top speed of 115 MPH and can tow a trailer with a capacity of up to 1,500 pounds.
IONIQ 5’s E-GMP can support both 400-V and 800-V charging infrastructures. The platform offers 800-V charging capability as standard, and can accommodate 400-V charging without the need for additional components or adapters.
With a 350-kW charger, IONIQ 5 can charge from 10 percent to 80 percent in just 18 minutes. If the owner only has five minutes to spare, the IONIQ 5 can recoup about 68 miles of range using a 350-kW fast charger. The standard 10.9 kW on-board charger completes a full charge in 6 hours and 43 minutes using Level 2 charging.
Unlimited Charging for Two Years
Recently, Hyundai Motor America (HMA) collaborated with Electrify America to support owners of the 2021 Kona Electric and IONIQ plug-in sedans with 250 kWh of included DC Fast charging in the all- new Electrify America app. Electrify America’s network of over 600 stations offers owners the access they need to fully enjoy their EV by providing convenient, ultra-fast charging stations across the country. In order to support our IONIQ 5 customers, HMA will continue to partner with Electrify America by offering unlimited 30-minute charging sessions for two years from the date of purchase on their rapidly growing network of ultra-fast chargers. Electrify America plans to have about 800 charging stations with more than 3,500 ultra-fast chargers either open or in development by the end of 2021. Hyundai America will provide more details about the charging plan when the IONIQ 5 goes on sale in the fall. Driving an EV has never been easier.
Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) Functionality
IONIQ 5 also provides an innovative V2L function, which allows customers to freely use or charge any electronic devices, such as electric bicycles, scooters or camping equipment. It serves as a charger on wheels. This function can even be used to charge a stranded EV. It is ideal for powering necessities during a power outage, tailgate parties, camping or outdoor projects (1.9 kW peak power using a standard 120-volt outlet). The V2L function is enabled using an available accessory adaptor and goes into the outside charging port. In addition to the outside power outlet, there is a second outlet underneath the back row seat for charging laptops, phones and other devices on the Limited trim.
Cutting Edge Technology
Augmented Reality (AR) – a Head-Up Display (HUD) with Augmented Reality (AR) mode, essentially turning the windshield into a display screen. Drivers can choose to use AR technology to project relevant information, such as turn-by-turn navigation, or advanced safety information about the car’s surroundings.
Connectivity – A 12-inch full touchscreen infotainment screen with Android Auto / Apple Car Play.
Driver Assistance – The IONIQ 5 comes packed with driver assistance technology including:
- Highway Driving Assist 2 (HDA2)
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC)
- Forward-Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
Availability and Alternative Ownership Model
IONIQ 5 will initially be sold in Hyundai stores in the 10 zero-emissions vehicle (ZEV) states[i] plus Texas, Fla., Ill., Ga., NC, Pa, and Ariz. followed by a broader rollout in 2022. HMA is also looking at alternative ownership models to attract and engage first-time EV customers. People are interested in trying EVs, but want to do so in a convenient, low-risk way and are already comfortable using subscriptions to buy goods and services. In the future, Hyundai dealers will offer a simple automobile subscription service for IONIQ shoppers. This subscription service will feature a single, all-inclusive monthly payment, covering the vehicle, insurance and maintenance.
Stay posted to the Spokane Hyundai Blog for more information on the highly anticipated release of the IONIQ 5.